What will be the consequences if I break an equipment lease?

My business, a sole proprietorship, has 48 months left on an equipment lease. I plan to close the business and sell my accounts to another printer. After all is said and done taxes, A/P, etc. I will have approximately $5000 left but don’t care; I just want out. The lease is in the business name with me as the person authorized to sign. However, there is no guarantor signature. Can I just call the company and tell them to pick up the equipment? Will I be responsible for the

remaining lease payments?

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Was your company an LLC or corporation? If it was, and the agreement was in the company's name, then if you did not guaranty the lease agreement, you are not liable on it: only the business, which you are closing anyway, would be liable. Owners or employees of LLCs and corporations are not responsible for company debts or obligations.
But if your company was a sole proprietorship (not an LLC or corporation), then legally, you and the company are one and the same: you are liable for all company debts, and signing for the business was signing for yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.