What are my rightts regrading breaking a lease due to safety issues?

My apartment has been broken into as well as my car stolen within a 6 months time. I have spoke to my leasing office as well as the head corporate office leasing person. They claim I cannot break my lease. I fear for my safety as my neighbor across the hall less than a week from my breaking and entering, had the same to happen (fearing that they were coming back for my apartment). My lease is not up for another 8 months. I have a storm door and there is no trace of breaking and entering, police reports claims a key was used. I believe it was someone from the office. What should I do?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written, I suggest that you request management to re-key the lock to your door. I suggest that you install some recording device for your rental to depict who may be entering it when you are not there.

As to safety issues, I suggest that you as well as other tenants make written complaints to the property manager of the place where you rent about such issues and the need for better security. Keep a copy of the complaints for future reference and need. From what you have written, it does not appear that you have a legal basis at this time to terminate your lease based upon safety issues without recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.