Boyfriend trying to reduce alimony on his x wife. She sent him a letter with a subpoena in it for my financial records. Can I not comply ? I feel I was not properly served.

I live in Fl. I live and work for my boyfriend. We have a 3 yr old together. I refuse to marry him because I do not want to some how be legally tied to her. Recently he filed to modify alimony. She lawyered up and they have a court date in two weeks. Mean while her lawyer sent ( addressed to him) a letter to him pursuant to rule 12.285. There was a subpoena in this envelope for me wanting my financial records. But that court date is 2 weeks after their modification of alimony court I have to present her my financial records?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A subpoena is something that you are either obligated to comply with or not. You need to lawyer up and explain the situation. Since you are not married to him, your salary should not play into the situation of his obligations to her. It would be different if the two of you were married. The complication is you have a child together. This will necessarily impact his overall support to other people. So you need to get an attorney to contest the subpoena.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.