If I bought car under false pretenses, can I return it?

Dealer said car was front wheel drive. He gave me a car history report stating the same. But when I got home I found out that it was rear wheel drive.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under General Practice, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may indeed be able to rescind the transaction, returning the car and getting your money back. A transaction may be rescinded on account of fraud, or the misrepresentation of a material (important) fact. From what you write, the dealer may in fact gave misrepresented an important fact--whether the car was front-wheel drive or not. Note: technically, the dealer would have had to knowingly lie for it to be fraud--i.e. he would have had to know it was really rear-wheel drive. In that case, though, you have a different ground to rescind--mutual mistake. You both thought that he was selling and you were buying something other than what you bought. When an agreement or transaction is based on a mutual mistake, so that the parties did not do what they thought  they were doing, that can provide grounds to rescind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.