borrowed car not returned

i let my friend borrow my car to go to the store she never brought it back that
was 17 hours ago. she has blocked me from calling her phone and even texting her
on facebook messenger. i called the police and they wont do anything because
they sais i let her borrow it. please help me what can i do.

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

File a lawsuit against her for the value of the car, based upon her theft of it (taking or keeping your property without permission is a form of theft, such as "conversion," which is illegally holding on to another's property which was initally given into your safekeeping or possession): if the police will not help you suing her for the car is really your only recourse. If the car is worth around the small claims court limit, file the case in small claims, as your own attorney, not just to minimize costs, but also because small claims court is faster than other courts; if worth more than that, file in regular county court on an "emergent" (i.e. "urgent") basis to get into court faster, and in the process, seek a court order requiring the car's return to its lawful owner (you) pending final disposition of the case. If you file on an emergent basis and seek a court order as discussed above ("injunctive relief"), be aware that doing so can be procedural complex; you would be well-advised to retain an attorney to help you.
(If local police will not help, you could also try contacting the Sheriff's office or the state police, by the way; it is possible that one or another may see matters differently. There's no reason to not try contacting them: at worst, you waste a little time.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.