If my client pre-paid on a boarding contract what, if anything, must I refund to them?

I board animals here for other people. I have a customer who I had we had a

falling out with, so she removed her animals off my property with only a 24 hour notice. She paid me a year in advance. I was wondering how much I have to give her back.

Asked on November 20, 2018 under Business Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A customer has no automatic legal right to provide a refund for services paid if they cancel the service early, unless there exists a valid contract to the contrary. Accordingly, you can keep all of the money paid to you. You should note, however, that had you cancelled the service, then you would need to provide your customer with a refund as keeping payment for services not rendered is illegal. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

There is no inherent right to a refund when the client or customer decides to no longer use your services (if you had kicked her out, so to speak, that would be different; then you'd have to return her money, since a business cannot deny services while keeping a customer's money).  Since she removed her animals, unless your contract gives her a right to refund in these circumstances, you don't have to give her anything back; the law does not entitle her to a refund apart from anything your contract offers her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.