beneficiary of trust needs help

i am a beneficiary of my parents trust. there is a trustee who i believe is
abuseing the trust, she has not provided me with a copy, my parents attorney says
ask the trustee. my parents have passed, i am in ca. she is in oregon. what can i

Asked on June 5, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since you are a beneficiary, you have an interest in the trust--an economic stake in it. That interest gives you standing: the right to bring a legal action. You can bring an action for an "accounting": that is, ask the court to examine the trustee and make her "account" for her actions. If the trustee is violating either or both of the terms of the trust (e.g. the instructions in it, for what she can or must do) and/or her fiduciary duty (the obligation, imposed by law on trustees, to act in the interests of the trust and its beneficiaries, and not for her own interests or the interests of other persons), the court can order her to repay to the trust whatever it lost due to her, and/or remove her as trustee. An action for an accounting is brought in chancery court (a part or division of county court) and is much more procedurally complex than, say, a small claims case; you are strongly encouraged to retain an attorey with trusts and estates experience to represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.