What to do if a trustee has stopped contact with a beneficiary?

My husband is one of the beneficiaries of his grandmother’s trust. His uncle is the trustee as well as a beneficiary. She passed away 6 months ago and we received a copy of the trust 2 months later but we have never received a copy of her assets. We were communicating with his uncle and then it stopped. I have sent him 2 unanswered e-mails. Have not heard anything from him in over 6 weeks. We are supposed to be receiving quarterly payments for 21 years but have yet to even receive the estimated income. Is there anything we can or should do?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for you and your husband's loss of his Grandmother and for the problems that seem to have cropped up since her death.  Your husband's uncle holds a very powerful position as the trustee of the trust.  But with great power comes great responsibility as well.  Generally speaking, a trustee has the obligation to file various documentation as to the trust assets and the income and liabilities of the trust for both accounting and tax purposes.  The delay here could be in the marshalling - gathering - of the assets, the valuation of the assets and determining any liabilities of the estate in general.  It may be in your best interest to speak with an attorney and retain some one to "officially" inquire on your behalf.  Try giving his uncle a call before hand to see if he responds - and it is your husband that needs to do so unless you are mentioned as a beneficiary too.   He does not have to respond to you so that may be the root of the matter here.   If he does not respond then speak with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.