What to do if I’m being sued for my minor son’s medical bills that were incurred while in the care of his mother and of which I had no knowledge?

I am being sued by a medical center via a collection agency for unpaid medical debt for my dependent child. I am divorced from his mother for over 14 years and had no knowledge this debt even existed. The divorce decree stipulates I provide insurance and share in medical expense. I am willing to pay half but should I be responsible for the entire debt?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the maritial dissolution decree states that you are responsible for your minior child's health care and expenses, then you are obligated to pay the entire bill of the child that you have written about.

In turn, you are entitled to some amount or reimbursement of the amount paid from your former spouse based upon the percentage of medical expenses she and you are responsible for under the dissoution decree as it applies to your child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.