Being released from probation

I am due to be released from probation at end of this year. (It has been 5 long years). But the problem Is i still owe about $6000 in restitution. What is going to happen? I was told they could put a lien on me for the rest of the money. Is that true? I live in Florida.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, restitution is often made a condition of probation.  What this means, from a practical perspective, is that it is possible that your failure to make full restitution prior to the termination of your probation may provide a basis for your probation officer to violate you.  It would be a shame for you to be violated at the very end of what you describe to be "5 long years."  Thus, putting aside your potential financial liability, I believe that this should be your first concern, as a violation of probation could potentially expose you to incarceration and/or an increased period of probation.  I recommend that you consult with the attorney that represented during your criminal matter that gave rise to your probation (or if you were unrepresented that you consult with and/or retain an attorney in Pinelias County, FL) in the interest of resolving the restitution matter, and your probation in its entirety, in the most favorable manner possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.