What to do if I was terminated from my job after cancer treatment?

I worked for a company for 9.5 years. I was never late, stayed overnights in a hotel so that the company would be open. I achieved many awards and met the requirements of the job. I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, had surgery, chemo, and was cleared to go back to work. In August of that year went back to get scanned and the scan pick up cancer again. I had surgery, radiation and chemo. I went back to work this January, was released by the doctor. Still had the fear of cancer coming back. I had a scan February, no cancer. I don’t know if my cancer is a disablity or was the firing due to me not working during the recovery periods.

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF you were fired simply for having cancer, that would be illegal: employees may not be fired for having illness or medical conditions.  But if you missed work without having enough paid time off (PTO), such as sick days, to cover the absences, and/or were eligible for (and your company covered by) FMLA and used FMLA leave for the absences, you could be terminated for the absences--the law does not make employers keep employees who miss work without covering their absences by a combination of PTO and/or FMLA leave.
If you did not have uncovered absences and believe ou were fired for having cancer, speak to the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency about filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.