Being an at will employee, how can I file a lawsuit due to discrimination of character/race and receive justice for my termination?

I was terminated for the same actions my supervisor has committed. I never received a written warning. I was reprimanded for my tardies and he was not. I was not given the opportunity to apply for a director position which was not posted internally but was just handed to my supervisor. I questioned the ED protocol since we were an Equal Opportunity Employer. She never return to answer my questions. We both just received a promotion at same time but not less than 6mth he was given another position as director.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe you are the victim of racial discrimination, you have two choices.  One is to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).  They will investigate your complaint, and you don't need a lawyer.  It can take a while.

Your other option, in some cases, is to file a lawsuit.  This is a very complex area of the law, and you need an experienced attorney to handle a case like this.  One place to find lawyers is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.