Because we left on bad terms, my former employer won’t respond to my request to obtain a much needed document for an IRS Audit. What should I do?

Hello there,

I am currently being audited by the IRS and I need a letter from my former
employer regarding their reimbursement policy for work from home expenses. I
have sent emails and called a couple of times but have not received any

We did leave on bad terms in that they were not happy I went to work with a
competitor. I remember they did not respond to any reference calls from my then
new employer as well. Luckily, they were ok with me showing recent pay stubs.
Please advise on how I can obtain a letter from my employer stating I was not
reimbursed for any work from home expenses.

Thank you very much

Asked on April 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't get such a letter from your ex-employer if they do not want to provide one. The law does not require a former employer to provide any assistance to an ex-employee, including a letter about either reimbursement policy generally or reimbursement specifically to you: they have no duty or obligation to help you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.