What to do about a bad reference from prior employer?

I worked with a company for almost 6 years. It was a call center and being on the phone that much is very stressful so I started missing a lot of time and was fired because of this reason. I applied for a job in the same building and was told there was people with more experience than me. They were hiring over 100 people I cant believe that many people were more experience than me when i basically did the job they were hiring for on my previous job I was fired from. The supervisors talk to each other on a personal level from both companies. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An employer is allowed to give you a bad reference, as long as it is truthful or an opinion. So, from what you write, your prior employer could say that you missed time without approval or were fired for missing time (since that is true); they could also say that they felt you did not handle stress well (since that is an opinion). The only thing they can't do is make untrue factual statements about you, so they could not, for example, say you were fired for theft or drug use, if that was not the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.