What canI do about a background check error?

I recently did a free background check on myself and there is a charge listed for aggravated vehicle theft. A crime that I did not or ever would commit. I am wondering how to get this false charge off of my record?

Asked on July 12, 2010 under Criminal Law, Nevada


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ensure when you did a free background check, that that particular company was simply using your name and not your social security number.  Contact a private investigator to run a background check for you using his or her resources (many states now license private investigators).  If it comes up on those background checks, you may need to enlist the help of an attorney to help clear it.  If you feel you cannot afford the services of an attorney, at least consult with one (even if it is Legal Aid) so that if you attempt to contact the FBI or local police on your own, you are equipped with as much information as possible.  If the background check showed where this charge and conviction occurred, go to the court house and see if you can get some information or talk to the local prosecutor about the mistake and see if the prosecutor can help clear up the mistake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.