Avoiding cost of a full-blown Will

I’m not married, have two grown daughters and simply want to leave everything I have, to them. They are fine with this.

How can I do this and avoid the legal fees, costs, etc., of doing a full-blown will?


Asked on January 9, 2018 under Estate Planning, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

This is not an easy question to answer in this type of forum but I will try and guide you.  Maybe instead of a Will you should consider sitting down with an estate planner.  Thus may help you figure out how to prepare forms necessary for the transfer of the assets automatically at the time of your death rather than having the girls go through the Probate process.  For example, naming them now as beneficiaries on a life insurance police.  Or giving yourself a life estate in a property and them the remainder and refiling the deed. Really leaving everything to them should not require a complex Will depending on your assets.  Why don't you sit down with both an attorney and estate planner on an informational basis and see what they have to say.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.