How best to handle an auto accident settlement for a minor?

My minor child was in an auto accident and is receiving a settlement in excess of $10,000. I was told that state law requires that we go through a probate judge because of the amount. I’m assuming this means the money will be placed in a trust. Will I have access to the money to pay the outstanding medical bills and to reimburse myself for my out-of-pocket expenses? I was told by the insurance company that they cannot pay the medical bills directly before issuing the settlement. Additionally, can I choose the type of trust that is set up or will my child automatically have access to the money at age 18? I would prefer the age of access to be higher to allow for more maturity and responsibility when handling such a large sum of money.

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Accident Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have a personal injury attorney representing your child in the matter you are writing about, you should. Ordinarily there will be a petition by the attorney representing the defendant who is paying the settlement for the minor called a "minor's compromise".

The court assuming it approved the petition and settlement orders all bills owed to be paid from the settlement by the child's guardian and the balance placed in a blocked account bearing interest.

The money is usually ordered to be released to the minor when he or she turns 18. The guardian can choose where the settlement money will be deposited.

The guardian can pay medical bills and then be reimbursed for the payment per a court order out of the settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.