I was in an auto accident in Irvine, California. I only have the license plate and phone number of the other driver and now they don’t want to pay. What can I do?

I was in a car accident in Irvine, California. I did not exchange information or fill out police report because they did not want to report to insurance. Asked for me to get an estimate and that they would take care of it. Now, they don’t want to pay. All i have is the license plate of the car, which I’m pretty sure is a rental, and phone number. What can I do?

Asked on July 2, 2009 under Accident Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  I suggest that you make out a police report and provide the license plate to the police.  The police can then track the plate and find out who the driver of the car was.  Once you have this information, you can file a claim with the driver's insurance company to obtain reimbursement for the damages.

R.S.T., Member, NY Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're first mistake was not calling the police. Never do that again.  I would call the police or go down to station closest to where the accident occured and file a police report with all the information you have. And also inform your insurance company after you've filed your report. And do all this as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.