Auto accident, Jan 09 2018

My wife was in an accident, she was not injured but the driver who hit her has no insurance what can be done?

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your wife has uninsured motorist coverage on her auto insurance policy, she can file an uninsured motorist claim through her insurance carrier and be compensated for the property damage (cost of repairs) to her car.
If she does not have uninsured motorist coverage, her only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence for the damages (cost of repairs) to her car.
She can enforce a court judgment against the at-fault party with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.