Audio recording in private residence

I have a question regarding audio recording in my private residence. My ex and I are closing up a custody battle but he is permitted to supervised visitation at my residence as a step up program until he can reach the standard possession period. Today he came over to see our 3mth old son and toward the last hour of visitation, his phone switched on and I noticed that hes been audio recording the whole time. I am aware of the one party consent law as far as recording conversations in Texas but I thought that only applies to public places and not in private residences. Does that qualify as invasion of privacy? I’ve tried searching the internet for my specific case but there are so many gray areas. I’m not worried because I didnt and dont usually say anything that could be used against me. I just feel very violated in my own home. Is this something that I should bring up to him?

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Private vs. public is not a relevant consideration in regards to audio recording: all that matters in the law's eyes if a party to the conversation consents to recording it (and of course he would have consented, if he was the one recording), not where the recording is being made. A person may be recorded in their own home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.