At what point is it harassment? What do I do now?

I was told by a police officer yesterday to not speak with my roommate/co-worker
and to get a restraining order on her because I had to write two police reports
on her yesterday. Word got around work that I was going to get one and now she is
having my other co-workers come to my desk and taunt me, she also keeps trying to
yell at me while i’m working, i have been ignoring it and telling her ‘I do not
wish to speak with you right now’. Police report 1 was because she smashed my
glass cups on the floor and left glass for me to step on when I entered the
premises. Police report 2 was because she intentionally locked me out of my own
bedroom after unplugging everything.

Asked on June 24, 2017 under Criminal Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything about harassment by a roommate except if she does something which would consitute a criminal act, in which case you could file a police report and/or look to press charges against her. Unfortunately, there is no basis in landlord-tenant law for taking action in landlord-tenant court or a landlord-tenant context against a roommate.
You can report her harassment as a coworker to your employer's management or HR department, and they may choose to take action against her--but they don't have to. An employer is under no obligation to intervene in a dispute between employees or prevent harassment of a coworker and may let this continue. Again, the police--if she does something which would be a crime--may be your only recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.