At what point does office gossip become harassment?

I was recently informed that some co-workers had been deliberately manufacturing lies about me and another co-worker. They were telling people within the office that we were “hooking up” and even took it so far as to claim we were engaging in inappropriate and explicit conduct within our cubicles during office hours. The whole situation was discovered through the other victim of these lies getting onto someone else’s work computer through admin access and looking through the skype conversations these people were engaging in.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is not "harassment," but it may be defamation: defamation is the making to third parties (so to anyone but the actual target of the gossip) of untrue factual statements which damage a person's reputation. A false accusation of an intraoffice affair and inappropriate onsite sexual conduct could certainly constitute defamation. From what you write, it may be worthwhile to consult with an attorney (probably a personal injury attorney) to see if you have a claim and what it might be worth. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.