At what point can you break your lease if you don’t feel safe to live there?

I have this neighbor that is consistently causing problems and harassing other people in the apartment complex. He has had the cops called on him several times and has been arrested. He is being evicted , but I can’t deal with it everything going on; it’s getting worse. The office says call the cops and we have and I have given formal complaints but when does it become too much for my family to handle. If I were to break my lease do I have something to back me up?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The key question is whether or not the tenant that is causing you the problems is a tenant of the same landlord that you have. If so, I would write the landlord a letter setting forth the concerns that you have as to your safety and requesting a face to face meeting with the landlord as to what can be done to resolve the situation.

Depending upon the situation, the landlord may evict this problem tenant if this person is actually the tenant of the same landlord. The problem is that having a challenging neighbor does not ordinarily allow a tenant to end her or his lease without recourse to the landlord.

Perhaps you might wish to consult with a landord tenant attorney? Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.