At what point can of her application my fiance petition for me to stay in the US

My fiance UK resident and former holder of an expired green card is going
through the process of a new green card application filed by her 26 year old son
US citizen and so far has her I-130 receipt and is about to file her adjustment
of status form. I am here in the US with our 6 year old daughter until October.
Can she start to petition for me now? If not at what point can she start the
process? And will I have to return to the UK first or is it possible for me to
stay in the US?

Asked on June 18, 2019 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Your fiancee cannot file anything on your behalf if she does not have status in the US yet.  Secondly, if you are not yet married, she cannot petition for you as a green card holder.  Only US citizens can petition for their fiances.  If you are already married, she can petition for you only once she gets her green card but then that will be a process that will take several years as a spouse of a green card holder is not considered an immediate relative with visas immediately available.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.