At what age can a child opt out of visitation with the non-custodial parent?

My daughter is 15 and wants to decrease her visitation with her father during the school year. He lives more than 150 miles away and she no longer wants to travel every other weekend for visitation with him. It is too disruptive for her studies and school activities, including athletics. Can she decide this legally?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Family Law, Wyoming


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Technically, no she cannot decide this. There is a court order in effect and a visitation order can only be modified by the court. However, as a practical matter, you cannot physically force a 15 year old girl to visit with her father if she doesn’t want to. Even if you threatened her with punishment or restricting her freedom, it is not likely to get her to want to go. As you pointed out, a teenager most likely would rather be with their friends or engaging in sports activities rather than being with a parent. 
In recognition of this fact, courts have typically tended to hold the teenagers responsible for their behavior with respect to visitation, not the custodial parent. A court is unlikely to find the parent in contempt for failing to comply with a visitation order. Therefore, this leaves the non-custodial parent of a rebellious teenager largely without a remedy for enforcement of such an order. Also, if this matter does go to court, if it can be shown that your daughter's grades are/will suffer, this will lend more support for at least reduction of visitation (but probably not an outright elimination of it).
At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. They can best advise at to what can be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.