What do I do if at the beginning of last year, my company decided to split my checks between the 2 locations I work at and now I’m paying more in taxes?

The company is the same and I have been with them for 5 years but started working at 2 locations. When I received my W-2 for last year and went to do my taxes, it said I owed close to $700 which has never been the case in previous years. My manager confirmed that my W-4 information had not changed. However, my separate paycheck stubs reflect 2 separate EIDs and D/B/A. I only received 1 W-2 which lumped all sums together. Shouldn’t I get 2 W-2s then? Separately, it would appear that I made much less individually at both places with fewer taxes taken out.

Asked on February 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would be legal to have your payroll under one entity (since there is apparently one parent or umbrella organization) or to have you paid under two different entities, if you in fact work at/for two separate LLCs or corporations (entities with seprate tax ID numbers). But they can't have it both ways: your paychecks (and how taxes are taken out/treated) and your W-2 should match. Your employer needs to pick one approach and go with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.