What can I do to protect this time owed to me by my present employer?

At existing employer I have time owed to me in addition to my standard vacation days. Next month we are being sold to a public company. How can I protect this?

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your employer has a policy in place where you can cash in accrued time for pay, then you can consider this option. However, under the laws of all states in this country, when one company acquires the assets and obligations of another company (such as accrued time off of an employee), the new company is obligated to honor the time that the employee has accrued.

I suggest that you seek written confirmation from your employer that your accrued time will be honored by your new employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.