If I was injured at an amusement park over 30 years ago when I was 5 years old, is there anything that I can do about it now?

I slipped, hit my head against an iron fence, was brought to the infirmary, and received stitches near my temple. As an adult, I’ve had countless health issues, all difficult to diagnose, and countless times been asked if I had a traumatic head injury. Disney World is the only instance of such an injury. It is now suggested that I have a brain fluid leak, which may have been present all along. How would I go about obtaining the records of my injury? I am not sure of the exact date, and I’ve no idea who I should contact. Should I have a lawyer try to obtain these records for me, or should I do it myself? Would this be a case for financial compensation?

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is far to late to seek any compensation. The  statute of limitations, or time to sue, for injuries like this is only three years. Often, if you sustained an injury while a child, you could bring a lawsuit when you turn 18--but not 17 years after you turn 18. After so much time has passed, the law does not allow you to bring a lawsuit.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.