I am in a process of filing my asylum application, but I am a bit confused
about my permanent address. I just graduated from a school in New York,
and my friend is currently hosting me in Chicago ‘temporarily’ until I find a
job because I am on my OPT right now. So I am in Chicago just until I know
where I will be in the future and mostly I won’t be a resident in Chicago. My
ID, bank account, and my taxes are all attached to my school address. I am
not sure where is my residency exactly.

Asked on July 15, 2016 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

YOu would indicate your address as the address where you are currently residing and receiving mail.  So even if it is temporary in the greater scheme of things, you would list that as your address and then if and when it changes you can update the records with USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.