If I was granted asylum, what are my rights regardingleaving the country?

I am an Iraqi asylee who was granted asylum 1year ago. I learned that I can’t go back to my home country for a visit because I am an asylee. However I am asking if I can go to the north of Iraq (Kurdistan) which is a separated federal region and is a completely safe area. I need to sell my properties and to see my family who had moved to Kurdistan so I just want to know if there is any legal way to do that?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you not risk going back because you can easily lose your status if you do go back.  You can probably execute a type of power of attorney allowing one of your relatives back there to handle your property interests.  As far as visiting relatives, if they are able to travel to a neighboring country, that would probably be safer for you to travel and be able to see them. At any rate, before you do anything, I would strongly suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about your specific case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.