What to do if an assisted living facility is moving next door in a residential neighborhood which means a loss of privacy and devalued home?

There is currently an Italian club next door to my house. There is a proposal being formalized to convert that space to an assisted living facility by knocking down the current building and putting one up that is 5 times its size. The company would also be purchasing a residential property as part of the development and incorporating the land. It would take 18-24 months to build. What are my options? We were trying to sell prior to learning about this and now will have a much more difficult time selling. There will also be a loss of privacy and construction noise.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as the assisted living facility is moving into the neighborhood has an permit and license to be where it will be, you have no say in what transpires and have no legal remedies so long as no local ordinances or statutes are violated.

If you are selling your home, you need to dislcose in writing the issue about the possibility of an assisted living facility being in place in the neighborhood to all potential buyers of your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.