Assaulted by a client on the job

I was assaulted by a mental health client on my job at a psychiatric facility. I was not injured but due to the naure of the assault I suffered post tramautic stress. At the time I was in shock and did not press charges. I left my job within 2 months because I did not feel safe there. I have suffered with depression and anxiety due to the incident. I am wondering if this is grounds to sue the mental health facility I worked for?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

what you will need to do is review the terms of your employment contract that you had with the mental health facility. In general when a person is assaulted while on the job the employer would be potentially liable. The concern I have is that because of the nature of this type of job such an incident may be considered "part of the job". Without knowing what the employment contract states it is difficult to tell you whether you can state a claim

What I suggest is that you contact a local attorney who specializes in this area of law. Bring your employment contract to review along with any records of the post traumatic stress you suffered and they will be able to advise as to whether you have a valid cause of action. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.