What to do about fraudulent assertions made in court?

I recently was divorced by my spouse, without agreeing to the terms he fraudulently presented in court. He drew up his own divorce decree without providing this 40 page document to me prior to our first and only court hearing. Since we had never had a hearing before, I assumed this was just a preliminary hearing to start the process. He presented his decree to the judge, that I had never seen, and the judge signed off on it. He put in his decree that he is supposed to pay the mortgage ($1500). The question I have is based on this decree; he is supposed to provide me with spousal support of $1500 a month, as well as $800 a month child support. He has already failed to do what he’s legally bound to.

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you never agreed to the document that was presented in court as a marital settlement agreement by your "ex" and you did not sign the document as it is written, you need to consult with a family law attorney as soon as possible to try and set aside the judgment as to the stipulation as well as the stipulation based upon fraud.

If you cannot afford a family law attorney, you should consult with your local legal aid clinic or county bas association to see if there is a program to assist a person in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.