IWhat to do if I’m the owner of a recently shut down business and was sued by the gas company for an unpaid bill and it won a judgement since I was unable to attent the court hearing?

It was brought to small claims court. I was unable to attend the hearing. Is there anyway to bring this claim back to court so that I may have a chance to defend myself?

Asked on November 16, 2014 under Business Law, Vermont


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Vermont allows a party to appeal a small claims court ruling by filing an appeal within thirty days in Superior Court.

It is unlikely that you will prevail on appeal because appeals are limited to a review of the law, not the facts.  A judge whether in small claims or another court usually rules against a party who does not appear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.