As the named executrix in my mother’s Will do I need to be present at the scheduled court petition for filing the Will?

My brother and I were named as executors of my mother’s Will without surety. He has declined but agreed to be my agent since I live out of state. I was given a docket number and scheduled court date for sending notice to interested parties which I have done. Do I need to be present for this court proceeding for the ill petition?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Do you have an attorney helping you with the matter or are you doing this by yourself?  It is really best for some one to be there when the Will is offered in to probate.  Do you have any idea if any one will be objecting to the Will being offered for probate?  If that happens then some one should be there. You should also take a look at any other papers that could also be filed like from creditors. If you have an attorney then they can probably represent you at the proceeding and it may be that you can hire someone to appear on your behalf for the proceeding if you can not your self attend. Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.