If my ex-boyfriend has not lived in the residence we shared but I am still living here and paying the rent, how do I get rid of his belongings?

He moved out almost 2 month ago.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get rid of your former boyfriend's belongings from the unit you have is to write him a letter stating he has up to a certain date to pick up the items and if not, you will place them in an offsite storage unit in his name where he will have to pay rent for the unit. Keep a copy of the letter.

If the due date comes and goes and the belongings are not picked up, then make good on your representation by placing the items in an offsite storage facility in his name and mail him the contract with notice where the items are. Keep a copy of the second mailing for your review and records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.