As administrator of my mothers estate, can I sell and purchase her house for under maket value for $1.00 with my siblings approval?

My mother died 10 years ago without a Will and I have not gotten around to doing the legal work to sell the house. Can I just transfer the title to my name?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your mother passed away without a Will and title to real property that you are inquiring about is solely in the name of your mother, you will need to file an intestate proceeding (proceeding to admininster one's estate absent a Will or trust) with the county court clerk where she last resided in order to obtain a court order transferring title of the property to the nearest line of relatives under state statute.

Given the passage of time, you should consult with a Wills and trust attorney to assist you in your endeavor.

Once you get an order transferring title of the home to the relatives entitled to it under state intestacy laws, you can then enter into a written agreement to purchase the home from the heirs for an amount that they are willing to sell their interests for to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.