As a single mother, if something was to happen to me how do I make sure my children are taken care of?

Asked on November 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Washington


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As a single mother, you should have a will, and you should consider setting up a revocable trust.  However, if you do not have any money to leave your children and/or to fund the trust, about the only thing you can do is to make arrangements with other people to agree to take care of your children if something happens to you.  A sibling of yours would be ideal because the state would recognize such a situation as often times best for the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.