As a landlord, am I responsible to pay back tenant for air conditioning repairs, if they did not give me adequate time to make the repair on my own?

Tenant has notified me of broken air conditioner twice, both time I told him I would have someone there the next morning. He insisted it could not wait ad hired someone himself, then forwards me the bill asking me to overnight a check. Broken A/C is not considered uninhabitable, and he still does not give me adequate time to fix it as a landlord ( not even 12 hours). Also, when I approach him, can I tell him if he continues to fix things without giving me a chance to as his landlord, he will be responsible for the cost on his own?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your tenant did not give you adequate time to fix the air conditioning issue (less than 24 hours), you might consider giving the tenant a free pass this time but in the future, the tenant is not to fix items on his own unless in an absolute emergency situation.

I would have a landlord tenant attorney draft up a letter to this effect to be signed by you and the tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.