As a cosigner what can i do to save my credit from primery owner of a home filing for bankruptcy.

I cosigned for a x-friend for a 1st. & 2nd. mortgage in 2003 in ohio. i requested to have my name removed from accounts various times in 2004 and 2005 and they refused. now 2009 they are filing for bankruptcy and my credit is being messed up, and i no longer can purchase a home. i have live in California sense 2005 and have no way of reaching said person. what are my options?

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you co-signed for the friend you agreed to be liable for the friend until the debt was repaid.  No bank that i am aware of removes co-signors.  The bank had no duty to remove you despite your request.  As a result of the default on the mortgage note, you are a party that the bank may collect from. The fact that you signed on as a co-signor makes you unfortunately responsible for paying the debt when it went into default as your credit was on the line and could have paid to keep the friend from defaulting on the note.  Unfortunately, you are along for the ride your friend took you on and there is nothing you can really do.  I would try to appeal to the credit agency to explain the situation but i dont see you getting far.  You have to be careful who you sign for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.