If a resident of one state resident died testate and owed small vacant lot in another state, is there any simple and inexpensive way to now transfer it?

Can it be transferred on just a notarized affidavit, by US mail, with copy of the death certificate and Will? The property was recently valued at $1575 on recent property tax bill. The entire estate is small; the sole beneficiary is also the executor, and the estate has no money for legal fees, probate fees or time-consuming court procedures. The value is not sufficient to spend a lot of time or money on transfer.

Asked on July 22, 2014 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  When a person dies owning property in a different state, an ancillary probate proceeding must be opened in the state in which the property is located. You would need to probate the estate in the state in which the decedent resided at the time of his death and then once appointed as Executor, open the ancillary proceeding in the other state.  Generally speaking, real property requires a probate proceeding and a small estate proceeding can not be used.  I would contact the clerk of the probate court in the county in which the property is located and ask if they have forms available online to help you.  Also look at the local Bar Association websites to see if they offer any help or a free consultation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.