Are we covered under the unfair or deceptive acts and practices law regarding a new car purchase?

My husband and I returned to a dealership to purchase a car on 8/18. Both times being told they had financing for us and we were told the cars that would fall into our “terms”. We signed, gave down payment, and left. They were unhappy that they didn’t get my trade-in and we did not buy the warranty they added without asking us. On 9/18 we went to plate the car but no papers. Called the dealership and they said “we’ll need you to bring it back, your contact was returned”. After talking to the “bank” the contract was returned on 9/1 and the car we didn’t know wasn’t ours was listed for sale online on 9/17.

Asked on September 27, 2010 under General Practice, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is really a question for you to ask an attorney in your area who can view all the documents you have in your possession on the matter and discuss the details more fully.  But I would, without a doubt, contact your state Attorney General's Office on this matter and file a HUGE complaint as to the dealership.  If the dealership is also a "chain" I would call the "home" office and file a HUGE complaint with them as well.  It certainly sounds as if there was a breakdown somewhere in the matter and that  you were taken on some kind of ride.  You now have to pin down the culprits and see what can be done for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.