Are there legal grounds to avoid reimbursing my former employeer

I recently resigned from my company to seek a new career path. The primary reason was to separate myself from a high stress environment working as a manager in the nuclear power utility business. My challenge is that I just relocated to one of our remote work location in Arkansas which included relocation expenses signed repayment agreement. Due to my resignation I am liable to pay back these expenses which total 23,340.
Are there any circumstances that I would allow me to negotiate any or all of this agreement to pay back my company?

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you had a signed agreement, as you indicate, with the employer under which, if you resigned (or at least resigned within a certain time frame), you would have to repay the relocation expenses, then you have to repay them: such agreements have consistently been found legal and enforceable, and if you do not pay, they could sue you for the money. Based on what you write, you do not appar to have any viable  defenses to repayment.
You can of course try to negotiate for lower payment or payment over time, but you would have no "leverage" in those negotiations, other than the employer's potential willingness to accept less money now without having to fight for it (a fight which will take time and cost them some money, even though they will almost certainly win).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.