Are there any laws that prevent banks from selling foreclosed homes that aren’t built to code?

I just brought a house 32 days ago and have found mold, water damage, roofing, plumbing and electrical problems. I’ve spent $7000 in new appliances and different materials to either fix or update the house. Is there any laws that makes the seller or a bank liable to fix these issues? Most of the house isn’t even up to state code.

Asked on July 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, homes in foreclosure are sold "as is."  You generally do not have the opportunity to do a house inspection for hidden problems such as the ones you are referring to.  The idea is that you are getting a "deal" on the property but in reality you can be buying a headache.  Did you buy the house at auction or through a broker on behalf of the bank?  Did the bank "warrant" anything as to the condition?  You may want to seek some legal help in your area on this matter and bring all the paperwork with you.  Ask fro a consultation on what happened for a flat fee and to be able to ask as many questions as you want.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.