Are the police required to send a written notice of impound, and what are the options of notice not sent to me?

Briefly looking into it, I’ve seen that the police are required to send a written notice of impound, although I night be wrong. My car was impounded not too long ago and the written notice was sent to my housebut the street address was misspelled (Stanly instead of Staley), and my name was messed up (they put a completely different middle name and misspelled my last name). Legally, does that mean that the written notice was not sent to me, and what can happen if no written notice is sent? Will the police or towing company be held liable for the towing and storage fees, or is this wishful thinking?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In the event that one's car has been impounded after an arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, law enforcement is required to send written notice to the registered owner of the impounded vehlcle as to its location per statute.

From what you have written, you apparently received notice that your car was impounded. Legally, you received the notice of the impound of the car that you are writing about even though the address was mispelled and your name was incorrectly placed as well on the notice. From what you have written, you will be responsible for the towing and storage fees, not law enforcement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.