Are the police allowed to constantly harass you when someone has been using your name and address as their alias?

The police showed up to my house saying that I have warrants. When I showed them my id they compared pictures and said I wasn’t who they were looking for. They said they are going to continue to harass me until they find him.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are being harassed by law enforcement as a result of mistaken identity and wish that the situation cease, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney about what is happening in order to see what your options are to end the perceived harassment.

I suggest that the criminal defense attorney write the police department from where those officers are stationed that spoke with you setting forth the issues and the mistaken identity requesting that any future harassment of you will be responded to in an appropriate manner.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.