Are the net or gross earnings used to calculate lost earnings?

This is for an insurance claim from auto accident.

Asked on May 12, 2017 under Personal Injury, Iowa


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Gross income is used to determine wage loss.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
In addition to compensation for wage loss, you should also be compensated for the medical bills and pain in suffering.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.
The medical reports will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.