Are shareholders public record in an S corporation?

I want to write a book but be completely anonymous (even from the publishers) in writing it. Its a very personal memoir, were I speak about my life when I wasn’t exactly the nicest person, so I don’t want the book to come back on me.However, I can’t seem to find out how to do this specifically, other than create a company, and have the company copyright and publish the book. However all the ownership papers for most companies are public record. That’s why I’m interested in an S corporation. If shareholders are anonymous, then I can be a share holder and name someone else the officer? Is that right?If I’m wrong or way of base, please share as much as you know about what I should do.

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Business Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An S corporation must still be filed with the state secretary of state and though it is not a publicly traded company, your name can still be found with or without subpoena. Consider a form of a trust, wherein you don't file the trust and the name is not based on your name. The issue will be one of copyright and how you may be able to protect your copyright.  You can use a pen name and deal with the publisher on how checks are written and the like. Many use pen names and the true identities are never discovered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.