Are separation papers legal if not filed in court?

My wife printed some separation papers off the internet and filled them out. I never signed them. she says that they notarized and thats makes them legaland I need to know if they need to be

filed in court in order to be legal?

Asked on May 22, 2016 under Family Law, Vermont


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You and your wife can be separated by either filing documents with the court or as an alternative having a physical separation with no intent to reunite.  Both of these alternatives constitute legal separation.
Courts have requirements for documents that are filed, and it would be advisable to check with the court to determine if the documents printed from the Internet comply with the court's requirements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.