Are my legal documents still valid after moving to a new state?

I have some legal documents prepared and executed by an attorney including: Advance Directive Authorizing Cremation, Nomination of Guardian and Conservator, Designation of Visitation Priority, Durable Power of Attorney, DPA for Health Care Decions. Are these still valid now that I’ve moved out of state or do I have to get them re-done?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not.  Generally speaking, if the documents were validly executed in the state you came from they will be recognized as valid in the state you now live.  You should, though, take a look at them every so often to make sure that you wish to keep the guardian, etc., the same.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.